Singer 401G Slant-O-Matic

The most common 400 series machines are an excellent place to start with Slants.
A good 401G is a classic Singer. Last of the best IMO: ) This one below was my first Slant & had most of its original attachments, etc. with it. Even the Singer Sewing book.

This is what ignited my interest in sewing machines. My good sister Joyce gave it to me a while back. Was being used as a doorstop! It belonged to her mother in law & was missing its case. When I saw it I realised it was potentially a classy machine. Knew nothing much else though. At the time.

Sparked an interest & I now have a few more.
 

 


 

Serendipity?

411G, 306K & 'spare' 431G

 One thing leads to another...

Another well used 431G here. As found.

Later, still a bit scruffy, but working as it should. (I touched up the missing paint to prevent corrosion)

 

Great for 'fancy' stitching, double needle also. Chain-stitching. Free-arm. They are versatile machines from the early 60s & still impressive in 2020.

Some people are daunted by the 'complexity' of these machines, but once you get used to them they are not difficult to maintain & adjust yourself. The simple quality of the Engineering is still impressive. Lapped bevelled gears for example. The aluminum castings are quite intricate too, but the whole machine feels solid, sturdy & light.

Stitch quality is excellent on a well adjusted machine. I still have this one in late 2023 & it will outlast me for sure; )



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.