Singer 411G switchable Treadle & Electric

Came across this machine recently, & it is unusual & intriguing! 

It is in fine cosmetic condition but I don't have it in my actual possession yet. Current Covid restrictions don't allow travel to pick it up from 100miles away in London, unfortunately. (Could be Easter before I can do so)

Nevertheless I can do some research meanwhile, & I'm not finding much online. GrowYourOwnClothes website being the exception.

So I show the (very low res) Ebay pics here. Tantalisingly showing the Manual page insert for this version, which is only partially legible...


Standard Treadle Handwheel details for comparison. The central knob has the usual cracks, but not too bad.


Obviously the missing knob will be hens teeth...


The actual Manual & Insert is hopefully in the post to me currently, & I'll post good photos of it when I get them.

It's an intriguing machine nevertheless & in use the missing knob will not be crucial. I mean you are hardly likely to be swapping Electric & Treadle options very often? I just wonder about the clutch to disengage the drive for bobbin winding!?

It is obviously a 3 position switching mechanism, & I can't see how it can disengage the motor drive at the moment. But that's why it will be fascinating to see it in front of me eventually: )

10th March 2021

Just came across some info which appears to relate to this subject, (Thanks to Olaf in Norway: ) & shows a Singer 616G 15 page from its Manual. In German, but shows the principles.

You rotate the knob as normal for disengaging the clutch, the Electric/Treadle option works via the ring, just in & out.















Is the ring missing? Maybe not, but the plastic knob looks like it is.

The * at the bottom says: Only available as Special Order. 

Now we know why the switchable option is rare.  On the 616G 15, the 411G, & probably others: )

Top left paragraph says in English:

The 616G 15 machine is equipped with a special handwheel for switching from foot operation to electric drive and vice versa.

Second Paragraph:

Electric drive: First remove the belt from the lower foot drive wheel, then set the selector ring in the handwheel to motor drive by pressing it in. When pressing in the selector ring, turn the handwheel slightly back and forth until the selector ring engages.

Third Paragraph:

Foot operation: Pull out the selector ring in the handwheel, then replace the belt on the lower foot drive wheel.

I still do not have the English Manual & page insert, but I don't need it now to understand the principles: )

 

15 April 2021.

I have now arranged collection of this machine on Sunday next. 18th April.

Back next week with all the details: ) 


18th April 2021.

Collected it from London today & now had a closer look at it: ) In fine cosmetic & mechanical order, with what appears to be all its original attachments, etc. including the chainstitch throatplate.


 The page insert for the switchable/selective version explains how to do the swap.





 


 

As found here, the inner details of the hand wheel before a clean or service. The machine looks to have been greased & oiled & had little use.

The hand wheel external switching mechanism appears not to be missing any plastic knob, as I first thought, but it does look slightly odd to me with the slotted chromed steel ring visible. The later 616G does have a plastic knob, as per the German diagram above.


All very interesting to my eye. More details to follow anon.



Better pic of the hand wheel assembly: )



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.