1889 Singer VS3 hand crank

Recent Ebay find is this 1889 Singer VS3 hand crank machine. This is the predecessor to the 28 series machines.

Showing much use, but looks interesting to me: )  I was looking for a hand crank for my 1888 Singer IF, & it may fit.

Even if it doesn't,  (It doesn't; ) this one looks like it only needs a little TLC to do its job again. 130 years later.

How cool is that?

Had some minor problems on delivery. Damaged case & base...

The flimsy cable tie was not sufficient to hold 25lbs of cast iron to the wooden base during shipping...

Needed the Coffee here. It is not easy to pack a vintage sewing machine to survive modern shipping methods... Above is the proof.

However it is a deserving machine & I'll get it running well for someone: )

Today, 17 December, its new shuttle carrier arrived & I can now get on with it. I want to get it stitching before spending any time cleaning it up. Fitting the new shuttle cradle did not solve the problem. Only when I tried another shuttle did it work. Both being Simanco 8301 oddly.

Finally got it stitching on Christmas Eve & it stitched well from the off.


Just needs a little adjustment to the tensions: )

Having passed that milestone it's time to consider what next?


Paint & brightwork need some attention clearly. It can only improve. The bobbin winder unit really needs replacing & a spool pin would be good! The Upper Tension nut is borrowed from a 99K: ) And a lid for the toolbox!

I'll be pleased to see this one with a new lease of life. Not many working handcranks from 1889?


I think this handcrank is from a later 28K/27K, but it works fine.

Comments

  1. How nice, an original hand crank. Sorry the crank won't fit your IF, but glad the machine (and most of the base) survived the shipping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it doesn't now!! I could make one of these hand cranks fit the IF, but it's a long job...
      But it's case/base is now respectable & just needs a shuttle carrier to get it going again: )

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.