Superba German made high Arm 12K clone.

Thought at first his machine might be a Wertheim Superba, but it ain't: ) Didn't cost much though & it's very nice in my opinion.

Ebay pic here as I first saw it: ) Came with a Coffin Case, with key, shuttle & bobbin. No apparent faults & no damage to the wooden case in transit happily.

First look said very interesting. My pics below. After a quick clean with Babywipes. It's all about the flowers I say: ) Very close to immaculate. Machine turned over a little stiffly, but it may have been unused for a long time, so no problem.


 

Serial number is 2478815, which, if it were a Wertheim would date it to 1887! Was hopeful at first but soon realised it clearly isn't that early when you look at the bobbin winder... (You can hope?)

Plain, undecorated faceplate but a good shuttle & bobbin. Sliding plates free. Bed gold decals a little dull, but mostly there. Not had a clean or service here. Hinge pins look unusual to me. I'm no expert with German machines though.


 The flowers are definitely the focal point & it does look like a 12K clone to me: )

Underneath it looks really clean, all moving, just a little dry. Soon fix that: )

Later I gave it a good oiling & tried stitching. Sewed very well, & I was very happy about that. Just missed the odd stitches every 100 stitches or so. Not sure what needles it needs just yet... Needles are something I need to learn more about. I found a a skinny needle in the oil tray & thought  'How nice!' But I discovered later it was slightly bent...


 


Still don't know who made the machine, but I do like the flowers. They have a slight iridescense which is very nice & I can only see one part of one leaf slightly missing. Unless it's intentional... Eaten by insects?

Been working on the case today. It's plainish, but got a nice patina after a clean & wax polish. The wooden bed is very nice also. The inlaid marquetry adds to both.


 

The machine gets some attention tomorrow.

(Had a real surprise this morning with my spare 12K! You ever have a bike with a wobbly wheel? Check this wobbly wheel on a 12K. You never seen anything like it!) Just scroll down to the video clip: )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.