Dodgy Singer 611G?

The dodgy machine: ) A little slider knob missing & a corner of the plastic front plate broken in the post. Neat otherwise & stitches really well with its all steel gears, just like the 400 series machines.

A couple of days ago I bought a cheap Singer 401G with a tired/slow motor, but in nice condition otherwise by the look of it.


The 611G was bought 3 years ago to compare with my several 400 series Slants. Particularly the simpler throat plate pins. I wasn't too impressed by it overall & thought possibly I could use its motor to replace the tired 401s motor: ) So I got it out this morning to have a closer look at the motor. I hadn't even serviced it & it was interesting just to look close.

The 611G is made/assembled in Germany. Its serial number is JE36584x. Which indicates the main frame/aluminium casting was made in Canada, St. Johns. Around 1965. Nothing unusual about that. Singer in St. Johns made certain other Slant bases & exported  them to Germany, Philippines etc. to be assembled there.

When I look at the motor it looks different from the 400 series, so I thought OK, but I'll take it out anyway & check the brushes, etc. 


Took off the holding plate to reveal the above. Was looking to find the type details, etc. PA, PB etc.

Nothing. Except some grinding marks just under the motor centre!! The details of type, year possibly have been removed/ground out!! That's the dodgy bit... But WHY? 

I've had bicycles (& cars) in the past with serial numbers ground out/removed for criminal purposes. Stolen usually. But a sewing machine motor? I can't believe it, but that's what I'm looking at right now.

The pinion is marked Singer 497782, so I assume its a Singer motor. But why remove the spec. details? I just don't get it.

It's been removed with a power grinder of some sort, but you can see parts of the original outline of the info panel.


Still go no idea of the motor type...



This is the machine info plate:

An American spec. machine? In UK we use 220/240v. Works OK on our voltage, but it does seem fast...

I'm looking for rational answers here, but it is funny, & strange to me: )

Was intending to post a pic of this on Victorian Sweatshop, but I've 'exceeded my limit'.

30/08/23

I think I know the answer to the 'Dodgy' bits now! Thanks for your thoughts/diagnosis Kevin: )

This is an American spec machine originally. It's had its 110v motor replaced for use in UK with a retro fit 220/240v motor taken from a donor machine with an angle grinder, (Being hard to remove else) hence the grinding marks on the Bakelite casing. Learn something new every day? The motor is actually very good, just doesn't fit the 400s without grinding away some aluminium on the 401, which I don't want to do. 

I watched this video on Youtube which gave me ideas about upgrading the 401 motor! I'm considering upgrading my scruffy 431 with this 2 speed motor from a 620 a Touch & Throw; )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.