Elna Elnita SP 1977

Looking for a controller for one of my Lotus machines, which is missing one, I found this machine & made a modest bid. Essentially a spares machine for me.

This is very similar to the Elna Lotus machines, but without the fold down covers & no storage space in the 'lid'. Came originally with a soft cover which is likely missing on this one. (But easy to make your own on the actual machine: ) It does look to be in neat cosmetic condition, but I need to wait & see in that respect. A controller on its own would cost as much as this machine, & more, so I thought it makes sense!? 

Won it for £41, including shipping. From the British Heart Foundation Charity online shop. If you are in UK I recommend them for certain interesting sewing machines. Shipping is £4.95 & always well packed with fast delivery!

I do love the Swiss made Elnas: )

15/08/2023

Arrived 8:30 this morning, Tuesday! Won it Sunday night, was posted Monday, arrives Tuesday. Safely packed & turns out to be immaculate. Complete with its soft plastic cover. Has a stitch sample under the needle, but only straight stitch & Zig Zag... The stitch selector appears to be stuck is why: ) No problem to fix that when I service it. It is definitely not a Spares machine, and looks to be a Lotus SP without the lotus leaves, which some people do not like anyway, since they are not easily removed. Later Lotus & similar machines had removable flaps, but they are plastic! Not for me.

 

This is now next on my jobs list after I refit the hook, etc. on my Star ZZ.

Now had a quick service & test stitch. The 3 extra stitches now working. I just didn't try the buttonhole process here. Sounds very smooth, like the best ones do, but not at full speed yet I reckon. I'll look inside the controller next.


Very happy with it.

Things noticed during servicing include the Plastic plate on top, (Lotus is steel, but not a big deal) which has to be removed to oil it. As with the ordinary Lotus. To use/access the 3 extra stitches you need to move both the big dials to '0'. 

The L shaped base plate is plastic also, but again no big deal. The hook pinion gear is nylon rather than the expected black one, so it may have been replaced already. Unless Elna changed the pinion type later in the production run. 1977 is late for Lotus type machines I think. And, always remove the needle from the work when you alter stitch widths/types. Easy to forget, at least for me: ) It is really user friendly actually.

Looks very clean & tidy underneath. No fluff & some evidence of lubricant: )

I got side-tracked by this machine today & still have not fitted the hook gear on my Star ZZ: (

One thing I notice about these early Elnitas is that there's very little info & photos of them online?! No mention on Needlebar for example. The Spec Plate says type 34, Lotus SP being type 35.

24/08/23

This machine is sitting beside me while I'm dealing with other machines today. I do need to give it some attention & use it! It's quite plain & ordinary looking, but it runs & stitches so sweetly, I feel guilty not using it: ) I'm working on its dust cover though & I do have a lovely bag that it fits into perfectly. I'm looking for one of my neices/great neices who will appreciate it. They very fussy though!

If you know someone who would appreciate it let me know.


 It's just the sweetest machine, ideal for a novice: )











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.