Bernina 707 Minimatic 1970

My second Minimatic arrived today! I was hoping the controller & cabling would also fit my 807, which lacks one. But it doesn't: ) But it is an earlier model, 1970 I think, & didn't look too bad on Ebay.

The case looked good too.

When I unpacked it the case was open & the machine was loose. Along with the controller & the flatbed plate. One of those days...

The machine itself is likely OK, just a few extra marks on the body & more importantly a cracked/damaged motor cover. Has no bobbin case & just a single foot.


 



All the controls work, motor sounds good, it just needs a good service after a long period of storage. It also needs a replacement case & motor cover This is what arrived earlier. It's made of hard, brittle plastic, unlike the Elnas in their steel ammunition box style cases.



Not having a lot of luck with my first Berninas... But this one is meant as a Winter Project now & I'm sure it'll run well after a little TLC. It's way too nice for a spares machine, which is what I was originally thinking of: ) I was thinking that the motor controller would be the finishing touch to my 807!

21/09/23

A week later I got a 25% refund from the seller & the machine is looking promising.

It's all free internally except for a sticky patch when you turn it over by hand. Caused by the cracked camstack gear, which is common on these machines. So I've ordered a new one, £20, & it'll be fitted when it arrives. Easy peasey to do: ) 

Remember this machine is 52 years old. The new cog will bring it back to life for a good few years.

Took literally 2 minutes to remove it this morning.

Loosen 2 grub screws & push/slide the axle out.

Spot the broken tooth below?

I know this machine will work well with its new gear & it'll be a bargain for £58, including the new cog; ) It came with its controller/foot pedal which works fine. All it needs is a custom case, & that'll be my little Winter Project for it. Got plenty of leather & I can make it on this machine!

I can get a replacement motor cover for it for £25, but it's not absolutely necessary. 

I'm very pleased with it right now: ) Check Ebay for good working vintage Bernina Minimatic 707 machines right now.

27/09/23

Fitted its new camstack gear this morning: ) Bit of a pain actually because the replacement units are poor quality. It spins over very nicely under power, but I still need to check that the zig zag is synchronised before trying any stitching. It can borrow the bobbin case off the 807 for now. (If it fits: )









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.