Bernina 830 Record 1971

Since I've got 2 very interesting Bernina Minimatics I thought it would be interesting/educational to try an 830 Record. At the right price: ) 


 

I think I've found one. Comes with all the kit. Foot pedal/controller, cables, including the tray, several feet, 7 by the look, etc. in the Accessories Box, printed Manual, as well as original paperwork, flatbed slip on unit in a neat looking case. Seller says it has a 'slight fluctuation in speed when sewing'. Which may be/likely is a cracked plastic cog on the Camstack drive, or an issue with the controller. The cog is an easy fix, £20 for a replacement, as with my 707. I've gone for it anyway at £140 shipped. Should it be a disaster it'll get way more than the price parted. Feet get a minimum of £10 each, controller £50+, plus many other parts: ) I expect to get it working well though & I look forward getting a close look at it shortly.

Arrived this morning in good order, no damage this time happily.

Had a good look at it & it is nice cosmetic order for 52 year old. Came with 10 feet & a good number of needles. Controller/Cabling is good & the Manual is with it also.


None of the controls are frozen & it has the expected crack in the camstack gear: ) Not tried stitching yet, although the seller says it does.

Old & new above. I'm sure it's good for another 10+ years now: )

I fitted one to my Minimatic 707 this morning so I've had a little practice: ) The modern reproductions are pretty poor quality though. The original grub screw would not fit the unit. Different size threading... I'm hoping the one I found for this 830 is different. Looks to be: )

Overall I'm very happy with it, they are fine machines when working properly.

It's got a few minor chips & some yellowing of the plastic panels. I believe the yellowing can be dealt with using Hydrogen Peroxide & I will try: )


Oct 11 2023

Fitted the new Cam Gear at the weekend & it was stitching fine in straight stitch & zig zag. 

Then I thought to try one of the fancy stitches & it promptly broke the needle!

I replaced the needle & tried again. No stitches... So the timing was likely put out by the needlestrike. Or, what I've now realised is that it needs 'synchronising'. (The cams need to be in time with the ZZ for it work properly. More to learn...)

Damaged it myself, can't believe it: ) Still, I was intending to get into timing these machines & here's the starter. (My 807 will need it as well shortly) Before I broke the needle it was very quiet & smooth running.

Nov 12th 2023

Turns out that the 'problem' was caused by a common issue on the 830s. See here on YouTube 'In Stitches' videos: ) You learn something every day: ) I do heartily recommend In Stitches instructional videos on YouTube though: )

I'm pretty sure it's OK now! Just need to fix a dry sounding Buttonhole controller, which works, but I'm having difficulty getting lubrication to the actual mechanism inside. AND trying to fix the awful, cheap spool pin fixings. One is broken & I'm not sure how to fix it yet.

This is a joke on the top of the range Bernina at the time. Flimsy, cheap plastic. The bent wire clip is still there at least though! You need retractable pins to get it into the case, so fixed pins will not suffice...

I guess no machine is perfect. Bernina included.

13th December 2023

Made a little progress with the spoolpin problem glad to say. I decided to make a wooden guide for both pins. To locate each pin side to side, front to back & up & down. Sounds right in principle and it does work. Might not look pretty but it's hidden away inside!

Early stage here. I want to prevent/limit any movement of the spring if possible & enclose the lowered pins all round. It slides in & out easily & when finished I'll tidy it up before locating it permanently. Or treat this as a prototype & do another now I've got the principles right: )

Later: )

I decided this Prototype was working as it should, but thought I could do it neater. The Mk 2 version is now finished & it works smoothly & will last as long as the machine. Positive depth, the pin on the left is at the bottom & the right hand one is slightly up, but you can see the positive stop. No side to side/front to back movement. Both pins are guided all around & cannot deviate: )

The machine itself is now timed accurately & is ready for use!






 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.