Elna TSP 72c 1975

New arrival from Ebay today. 5th April 2024. Listed as for Parts because it isn't working: ) I suspect it is the plastic Hook Gear Drive that needs replacing & I need access to it to replace it.

Looks in fine order generally & will first get a checkover to see what the problems actually are.

I open it up & the top end looks OK. The swing needle is stiff but moving. Needle position knob is not doing anything. The Buttonhole function is stiff also & not been used for a good while. Definitely needs a good service: )

Checking the bobbin/hook area I notice a screw missing on the feed dogs. Not aligned correctly with just one screw of two present. Not a good sign perhaps?

Feed dogs are moving correctly though, so the feed dog drive is working.

Looking closer I notice another screw missing...On the cover plate over the hook drive gears. The cover plate needs to be removed to get at the gears underneath... Two screws missing up to now.


Looks like somebody has been in here who shouldn't have been: ) I take a coffee break here.

Later.

I believe, it looks like, this machine was taken into a local SM repair shop & the mechanic was not used to vintage machines...  Told the customer it was 'not repairable' & was keen to sell said customer a new machine instead! Usual story.

He attempted to get to the problem by 'dismantling/removing' the hook assembly to get to the damaged plastic pinion underneath. He removed the one screw that was easy to access, (& lost it) see the arrowed hole above, but the second one defeated him. (Inadequate tools?) He damaged the second Phillips screw in the process & gave up.

See pic of the damaged screw below, easily seen with the hook gear assembly removed. The hole of the one screw he did manage to remove is visible left also.

This damaged Phillips screw needs to be removed in order to remove the plate underneath it, which will then expose the damaged pinion/cog below it, so that it can be replaced.

That is my current problem! I need to carefully remove that damaged screw.

8th April 2024

Happily I did manage to remove the damaged screw yesterday. It was easier than I expected & I did have some advice from the good people on the ElnaHeirloomSewingMachine IO group. Thanks all: )

Now the mashed up plastic gear is exposed!

All I need to do now is order a replacement & try to find one in UK stock. Most come direct from the Far East & can take 3/4 weeks to arrive... I chose to order it direct from China in the end.

Some people think that these plastic gears are cheap & nasty & don't belong on a classy machine such as this. But they are not used for economy, simply for quiet running in use & maintenance free since they do not need lubrication. (Some people do grease plastic gears nevertheless: ) This machine was made in 1975 & may well have had 40 years use before the gear failed, so they are are more robust than you may think. Plastics from 45 years ago were not so advanced as todays & so they have lasted very well actually. Many top end Berninas have certain plastic gears also for similar reasons.

The modern replacement parts are not made by Elna though. It's many years since Elna stopped making them. Most are Chinese or Taiwanese & may be not be so robust as the originals, but I'd say they'll last 10 years or so & if they weren't available many nice Elnas (Berninas too) would be unusable now.

The machine came in a very nice steel case along with most of its original accessories, both manuals, even the original Factory Sample Stitch Booklet.

How nice is that? The motor spins over nicely & quietly, the controller is immaculate & even the light works: ) It was also perfectly packed & arrived in good order! Many thanks Ruth, you did a proper, good job there! It'll be a lovely, usable machine again soon. It's very satisfying for me to do it, as well!

Tuesday 16th April.

Today the small plastic gear arrived from China! Took 8 days from my order & instead of paying £23 to a UK provider I paid £10 to the Chinese supplier & had time to service the machine properly while I waited for delivery. A good deal for me: )

Within 15mins  of its arrival I had it fitted: ) It's not a difficult job actually, once you have access to it.

Now I just need to re-assemble the removed parts & it will be ready for a test sew. Happy day here & I'm sure it'll be fine when I try it: )

I just know it will be a lovely, vintage machine when it's all back together. (That's why I do it: )

18th April & it's all back together now & stitching.

Tried a straight stitch, ZZ & a couple of the other variations. All good, never missed a stitch, just needs some attention to the tensions & a more detailed service. It's not running at full speed either, but that's likely to be the foot controller needing a close look at: ) Nothing serious, & now I know it stitches I'll attend to the details.


Looking like the lower tension is too high here, Altering the top tension didn't make much difference, but it needs a good clean/service & it will improve with use anyway. It's been idle for a good while & will soon be ready for another 40 years with a little care & regular use. These are fine, underrated machines in my opinion & way better than the modern, plastic, computerised machines on offer nowadays, especially for a novice user. No depreciation either: )

26th April 2024.

I've been playing with the tensions off & on for a few days & not getting far! It's close to good but not quite right. Still getting top thread show through underneath. After plenty of stitching which should loosen things up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.