Elna SU 62C freearm 1976

Came across this very nice looking Elna 62C on Ebay & thought to give it a try: ) It is the top of the range in this series & will make a good partner for the rarer Elna ZZ 21C I got recently.


Came with 11 cams & useful bits & pieces & it does look good to me: ) They do have 3 plastic gears inside, but they are not difficult to replace & they stitch very well.


 


They also have a very nice steel case, half of which provides a extension table!

The above are Ebay pics & I only won it an hour ago, but I do look forward to seeing it & threading it up; ) I report back anon.

11th August 2023.

It arrived yesterday in 2 days via Parcelforce in fine order. Won it on Monday night & was here on Thursday noon. Somethings do work these days!

Plugged it in, threaded it up & it's stitching nicely out of the box. Getting a good service today & taking off the top cover it's clear the top has never been removed previously! Most of the cams have never been used, with shiny contact surfaces. Came with both manuals, plus the original factory Stitch Samples: ) It could literally be 6 months old, instead of 47 years... Very pleased with it!

13 August 2023.

Had a trial stitch session last night. Inbuilt presets left, cams right.


There are adjustments to be made with the cams obviously, here I just left it on the same settings to get an idea of what they looked like. Two layers of denim is probably not the best material to use! These machines are reputed to be good with heavier materials though, & it is very fast. Up to 1200SPM according to the spec plate & I believe it! It's also very quiet & refined.

I'm sure it'll improve with further use. It still has the original 3 black plastic cogs, but replacements are available which are made of a modern Nylon I believe, which are not so brittle as the original black ones of 50 years ago. Quieter too apparently. Replacement videos are available on YouTube so it's a doable job at home should the need arise. I've already replaced 3 similar gears on my Lotus machines so...




Comments

  1. I'm very impressed with it actually: ) Just looking for some extra cams now, they are harder to find & more expenive than Singer Top Hats! 'In Stitches' on YT has some excellent videos on these machines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5NgEJdhaw&t=13s

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.