Elna Star series TSP 72c 1978.

Came across this interesting machine on Ebay last week. Looking in need of a little help: ) 

Ebay pics here, but it's on its way right now & I do look forward to seeing what I can do with it. It's 'jammed up' & the seller very sensibly left it as is: ) How could I resist?

I'm assuming it has stripped one of its nylon gears at worst, but that's easily fixable & they are fine machines in good working order: )

More to come shortly...

I paid £49.99 + £15 shipping & a lot depends on the packing for the shipping.

Already have a lovely Star 62c with additional cams & a Star 21c ZZ & both are very cool. This TSP (Top Special) completes my trio. If it works; )

It arrived @9pm tonight & a quick once over says it is very cool: ) Thanks Marcus.

The steel case is very nice too. These machines came originally with 4 machine screws to fix the machine into the case, which is very handy for safe shipping.

I'm very pleased with it! It'll get a closer look & power test tomorrow.

7/12/2023

It's all turned out very well up to now.

A quick look tells me nothing much wrong with the machine. The ‘jammed’ material removed easily, the machine turns over by hand OK, feed-dogs move, all the controls are working, just a little stiffness on some, but it’ll need a service anyway. The bobbin was inserted upside down & threaded incorrectly!

Cosmetically it is very clean & tidy, just a couple of chips probably caused by inserting/removing it from the case. Normal on these. The case is in very nice condition as is the foot controller. It is not the 2 speed version as I first thought, but that is not a problem. For some reason it is fitted with a 2 pin mains plug, but comes with an adapter: )

Looking very promising right now! I’ll power it up shortly… Runs fine. Quiet & smooth with no signs of flats on the drive pinion. I’ve not been near it with an oiler yet… Next I’ll thread it up & see what it’ll do: ) I’ll bet it stitches.

Sure enough it stitches. Bottom tension is OK, but top tension & stitch length needs looking at. Not surprised, it needs a good service & will get one next. All it's had up to now is a few drops of oil in the hook area.

First stitches & the bobbin ran out... Stitch length control is sticky, but the point is that it is working 95%. Oil can is out next. It'll loosen up & only improve with use.

The 2 pin plug is problematic. I’ll change it to a conventional 3 pin later.

The thread guides are in need of attention also. The two lower ones are not free enough. Had this previously on a couple of Elnas. Easy to fix though.

Very pleased with it overall: )

This is a 1978 model, so one of the last of the Star class machines. IE quality engineered, mechanical machines, that can last a lifetime. I have no interest in the later 'Electronic' or 'Computerised' items. Bernina similarly. The only problems with these machines are the certain plastic gears they use. But if they've lasted 35years of use they ain't that bad. I believe they were used for quietness rather than economy. Most are still available, even if they are Chinese of uncertain quality, & they are not difficult to fit. Certain Berninas are similar. I don't mind buying them with broken plastic gears because they are way cheaper then: ) Especially Berninas!

8/12/23

Up early this morning & been lubricating all that moves: ) It is quite educating to get at all the intricate parts of the Automatic Stitches & loosen them all up! There are 14 different stitches plus the Buttonholer. You need to know how to access them all, & I need the Manual to do it; ) (Got both the manuals with it, happily) I’ll bet many of them have never been used. It shows evidence of previous oiling though & I have found nothing that is actually stuck. Yet. Just a little stiffness here & there. It’ll be interesting to see if all the stitches are available when I thread it up again. It’s quite a sophisticated/innovative machine for the day & will be great to get it all working as it should.

Removing the covers to get access inside I notice no evidence of screwdriver marks! All the slots are pristine: )

Tried some stitching just now. Straight, ZZ, & two of the pattern stitches. All OK except slight problem with top tension showing under when on widest ZZ. Narrow ZZ not doing that? Stitch length variation is improving. Probably just needs using more to loosen everything up. Change the needle & clean out UT might be good next. Sounds reasonable stitching but I’m spoilt by the Berninas maybe: )

Ignore the white here: ) Red is the Elna... Two layers of denim though.
 

White is the Elna underside. I was just using scraps here: )
 

The foot that was on it is sloppy & should be changed. Needle position looks slightly off centre to the left, but it may be the foot? It’s probably had a fair bit of use judging by all the chalk bits in the box. There are 3 different types of zipper feet, also a dressmakers chalk pencil with an eraser brush on the other end! New one for me!


The 7 hole bobbins (single side) are the Elna type I'm familiar with, but the 10 hole variety (both sides) I assume also work since they were with the machine. Possibly an earlier type?

I’m quite happy with the progress overall: ) No faults found at all, just needs using I assume.

It will be used: )

 

13th Dec 2023

Spent an hour on it today & here's the results: )

Stitch testing on Black 6 (3 step ZZ) 5 (Interlock) 4 (Overcasting stitch) 3 (Scalloped Edging stitch) 2 (Elastic/Blind Edging stitch) 1 (ZZ) looks OK now the tensions are mostly sorted. Not tried the Red set or Buttonholer yet.


 

Try the Red set shortly.

Did a retest of all 12 stitches just now (except buttonholer) & the actual machine is improving noticably with use. One line = one stitch with some variations along the line. Look good to me: ) 

From top left 7 lines of ‘normal’, black on the panel..

You can change stitch length & width.

Next 6 have variables on the ‘A’ button. The Red stitches. You can’t change the stitch length, except for a minor adjustment either side of the 'A' button. But uses reverse to get variety. Experiment! I’m not an expert, but you learn as you go: ) If you need more choices of stitches go for the 62C with 150 or so cams available; ) I’m more interested in the way it sews. It’s fast, or slow as you like, & sounds good doing it. Not bad for 45 year old.

No missed stitches that I can see & tension is good & consistent. Doing very well in a week; )











 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 431G Slant-O-Matic throat plate pin problem

Singer 12K 1879 spares machine

My first Bernina & a bit of a mad one: ) Minimatic 807. From 1974.